Have you felt thirsty today? Most people don’t realize that by the time they experience the sensation of thirst, they are already dehydrated. When you feel thirsty, it is your body’s way of telling you need to re-hydrate your body. Why is your body designed this way?
Believe it or not, most of us spend our days constantly dehydrated to some degree because we don’t consume as much water as our body needs. Our system will not function properly without the proper water intake because our bodies are composed of about 60 percent water, which means that when we are dehydrated, our body’s performance is greatly affected.
The Hiit Club is happy to provide the following 5 reasons why we should all drink more water and 5 tips to help you do so:
5 Reasons You Should Drink More Water
- Flush Out The Waste and Bacteria In Your Body. Did you know that our digestive system needs water to function properly? Our body’s waste is flushed out in the form of sweat and urine and when we don’t drink enough water, it means that we do not flush out the waste. If the waste is not leaving our body in one way or another, it collects in our body causing various problems.
- Lose Weight. Did you know that sometimes when we think we are hungry, our body is actually just thirsty? Our body is designed to alert us when our water levels are getting dangerously low. Unfortunately, we oftentimes ignore those signals. So the next time you feel hungry, drink a glass a water; if you no longer feel hungry, that means your body was just asking you for water. This is especially beneficial if you are trying to shed some pounds as staying hydrated is a very effective appetite suppressant and weight loss aid.
- Perform Better. Did you know that dehydration can lead to fatigue, weakness, electrolyte imbalance and dizziness? This is because our muscle tissue is made up of 75% water, which means that proper hydration contributes to increased athletic performance. So if you are at the gym or workout regualarly, make sure you are staying hydrated!
- Feed Your Body. Did you know that water is essential for the proper circulation of nutrients in the body? You see, water serves as the body’s transportation system and when we are dehydrated, things just can’t get around as well.
- Water Means Life Or Death. Literally. If you don’t drink water, you will die. Without water, we can live only a few days (depending on our environment, maybe about a week) which is why it is imperative for us to prioritize our water consumption.
5 Tips To Help You Drink More Water
- It is recommended you drink half your body weight in ounces of water. So, for example, if you weight 130 pounds, you should drink 65 ounces of water each day.
- Drink water until you urinate frequently and your urine is light in color.
- Carry a bottle of water everywhere with you as a reminder to keep drinking.
- Drink a glass of water before each meal.
- Eat raw fruits and vegetables that are dense in water because you can get water from food, not just from liquids. Some examples include watermelon, celery and cucumbers.
There are so many reasons you will benefit from drinking water and staying hydrated. Remember, drink water to live a long and healthy life, your survival depends on it! For more information regarding the importance of proper water consumption, contact The Hiit Club!